Our Alma system at present automatically links any name string to an
authority based on a simple string match. We're more adventurous than some
Alma customers in also running a job which changes headings based on the
authority match. We monitor the changed headings on a daily basis, and can
see that the vast majority of the updates are correct. We have not found
the time needed to monitor output and resolve incorrect updates to be
overly burdensome in our context, but it is a necessary concomitant process.

As Ex Libris rolls out new functionality which pulls data from matched
authorities into the bibliographic search process with Primo, the issue of
false matches may become a bigger concern, even when heading changes are
turned off.

We've advocated in the Ex Libris community for a more conservative
authority matching process, which would reduce the number of errors we need
to remediate.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist