The practice of using 663 and suppressing 5XXs needs to be rethought, not
just recoded.

Authorities work by directing users from the 5XX to the 1XX in a browse
index. When the 1XX's AAP is not indexed for any bib records in a given
catalog, the system can be programmed not to display the 5XXs for an unused
authority 1XX, which would be a blind reference to an unused name.

The 663 note points in the opposite direction, from the 1XX entry to the
names given in subfield $b's. Reformulating the expression of a 663 to
include and exclude names based on the catalog's bib headings is a more
challenging task. I've seen the kind of blind reference avoidance described
earlier in system's we've had, but never the one that worked with 663.

In terms of browse index functionality, we'd be better off permitting the
5XXs to index whenever the authority 1XX is an active bib heading, and
providing a more informational, less directional note, e.g.

100 1_   Seuss, $c Dr.
500 1_   $i Real identity: $a Geisel, Theodor Seuss, $d 1904-1991 $w r
500 1_   $i Alternate identity: $a LeSieg, Theo., $d 1904-1991 $w r
500 1_   $i Alternate identity: $a Stone, Rosetta, $d 1904-1991 $w r
680       This author's works were written under several names. Works
written in collaboration with Michael K. Frith, are entered in library
catalogs under $b Stone, Rosetta, 1904-1991 $a Works of this author written
under other names, are entered under $b Geisel, Theodor Seuss, 1904- $b
LeSieg, Theo., 1904-

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist