I think that Adam has described accurately the expectations for applying Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) in PCC records.

As Adam also pointed out, the guidelines state that an “established thesaurus, list, or subject headings system” should be used.

How one applies the thesaurus, list, or subject headings system is governed by the guidelines specific to that thesaurus, list or subject headings system.  I think that PCC guidelines assume that the cataloger is following those guidelines.

So, in Adam’s example with LCSH and LCGFT, he’s referring to the guidelines established by LC for applying those terms, rather than a PCC policy.

The question was raised to the PCC Policy Committee a year or more again about whether a member could authenticate a record as PCC that used only FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology) and not also LCSH.  As I recall, PoCo affirmed that it would be acceptable to authenticate a record as PCC that used FAST in providing subject access.  (FAST is an established list.)  FAST uses the genre term approach (field 655) rather than form subdivisions.  Of course, PCC members who use Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) as their primary thesaurus follow NLM’s guidelines in applying MeSH, which now also use the publication type approach in field 655 rather than a form subdivision.  (This is based on NLM’s decision about how MeSH should be applied rather than a PCC policy decision). I know that some PCC members are considering using FAST rather than LCSH as their primary thesaurus.

I just wanted to point out that I don’t think it’s the purview of PCC to establish policy on how to apply guidelines specific to an established thesaurus, list, or subject headings system.  I see that as the purview of the organization that promulgates or governs the use of these lists.

Gene

Eugene Dickerson
Team Leader for Cataloging
Ralph J. Bunche Library
U.S. Department of State
Washington, DC
(202) 647-2191 (voice)

[https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ98cbmoBcllgdf0edh13ysYD1UWN40YaHnlGs_yRsSVneVOj4P]No part of any article sent to you by the Bunche Library can be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted without prior written permission of the publisher. The exception are brief quotations.  For a synopsis click here: http://diplopedia.state.gov/index.php?title=Copyright:_Synopsis_of_Important_Facts (Link not valid outside the Department of State.)

Official - Transitory
UNCLASSIFIED