Hennepin County Library's Cataloging section, serving the Minneapolis, Minnesota metropolitan area, is seeking two full time Metadata Librarians. Full information and application here:
Hennepin County Library's (HCL) Cataloging section of Technical Services is seeking two Metadata Librarians with experience in a library cataloging or metadata department. These positions will catalog materials in multiple formats and multiple languages
and perform extensive authority control work. Most of the work will involve creation of original bibliographic and authority records or extensive upgrades to existing records. These individuals will also make record corrections and perform bibliographic and
authority database maintenance.
The Cataloging section at HCL provides bibliographic records and metadata for the 41 libraries. Staff select, enhance, or create bibliographic and authority records using OCLC's Connexion software. Records are exported into the Library's Horizon integrated
library system (ILS) and accessed by patrons through the Bibliocommons catalog.
HCL serves more than one million residents within Hennepin County. The library system offers more than 5 million books, CDs, and DVDs, materials in more than 40 languages, 1600 public computers, and an extensive website.
Our mission is to nourish minds, transform lives, and build community together. The HCL staff, board, and community envision a future where library services ensure every person has the opportunity and resources to read, graduate, engage, work, and learn.
Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
The primary duties and responsibilities of these positions include:
• Catalog materials in multiple formats and multiple languages, both original and copy enhancement.
• Perform authority control work including work for the Name Authority Cooperative Program (NACO).
• Understand the application of national standards including: Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and Machine Readable Cataloging (MARC).
• Perform electronic format and records management with vendor provided records using WorldShare and File Transfer Protocol (FTP) sites.
• Create procedural documentation for cataloging of specific formats or collections.
• Assist, instruct, and train paraprofessional catalogers, interns, and interim staff.
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
• An ALA (American Library Association) accredited master's degree or higher in library science or information science.
• Experience creating, editing, and transforming metadata.
• Aptitude for or experience with music cataloging, both sound recordings and scores.
• Experience with or knowledge of cataloging techniques and tools including Classification Web, Cataloger's Desktop, and RDA Toolkit.
• Experience in the use of MARC and/or non-MARC principles, standards, and tools.
• Ability to:
O Use and create complex spreadsheets in Excel, enter and modify content in SharePoint, create documents in Word, and use Outlook email and calendars.
O Work in more than one language: HCL collects materials in Chinese, Hmong, Vietnamese, Korean, Hindi, Arabic, Somali, Spanish, Russian, French, and German.
O Interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
O Communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
Invitations to interview will be based on an assessment of education and experience.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Scott C. Markham
Hennepin County Library
12601 Ridgedale Drive
Minnetonka, Minnesota 55305
Disclaimer: If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please immediately notify the sender of the transmission error and then promptly delete this message from your computer system.