This begs the question whether conventional collective titles especially
with "Selections" are actually the titles of RDA works or expressions at
all. I'd argue that the alternative allowed for in RDA 6.2.2.10.3  to use
such access points is a compromise with past AACR2 practice. Past practice
was aimed at providing access points both collective and individual, not at
providing access points specifically for works or expressions.

RDA 6.2.2.10 directs us to 6.2.2.4-6.2.2.7 for formulating the preferred
title of a particular compilation found in manifestations or reference
source--i.e., to start with the found title as the preferred title. That
would be a simpler practice now than collectivizing our compilations and
then re-particularizing them by adding more qualifiers--though I agree,
that's what LC-PCC PSs currently instruct us to do.

The LC-PCC PS for 6.2.2.10.3 only instructs the adding of "Selections." I'd
argue that the alternative properly stops there. If a particular work or
expression title is desired, RDA has other provisions for determining that.

Stephen

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 12:43 PM, McDonald, Stephen <[log in to unmask]

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota