You can do both:

400 1 $a Lessing, F. D. $w nnea
400 1 $a Lessing, F. D. $q (Ferdinand Diederich), $d 1882-1961

The first 400 is marked as an earlier established heading form but
suppressed from public display in favor of the second 400 (at least, as far
as MARC21 is concerned).

If there were a conflict between "Lessing, F. D." and another established
heading, I think we still have the option of using a 667 note:

667  $a Old heading: Lessing, F. D.

to preserve the information about the history of the entity's access point
while avoiding the conflict.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist