From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephen Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, August 7, 2017 15:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] NAR nr 91037559, NAR n 87826402, (OCoLC)10078113, and (OCoLC)104623844 (LCCN 98230547)

You can do both:

400 1 $a Lessing, F. D. $w nnea
400 1 $a Lessing, F. D. $q (Ferdinand Diederich), $d 1882-1961

The first 400 is marked as an earlier established heading form but suppressed from public display in favor of the second 400 (at least, as far as MARC21 is concerned).

If there were a conflict between "Lessing, F. D." and another established heading, I think we still have the option of using a 667 note:

667  $a Old heading: Lessing, F. D.

to preserve the information about the history of the entity's access point while avoiding the conflict.

Stephen