From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hostage, John
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2017 9:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] NAR nr 91037559, NAR n 87826402, (OCoLC)10078113, and (OCoLC)104623844 (LCCN 98230547)

I know most catalogers like to make access points as encyclopedic as possible, but it's not always necessary.  I think the reference from Lessing, F. D. should be made because it's a previously established access point, but there's no requirement for a reference with fuller forms of name.  There's  no conflict with another access point.  To my mind, such additions just create clutter.

It's true that the MARC format defines the last byte in $w in terms of display, but in DCM Z1 the only criterion is whether the reference is valid in terms of RDA, which the previous heading is.

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger

Langdell Hall 194

Harvard Law School Library