From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shorten, Jay
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 4:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] 372 question for women's bookstore

The definition of 372, with regards to corporate bodies is “For a corporate body: a field of business in which the corporate body is engaged, its area of competence, responsibility, jurisdiction, etc.”.  Would “Lesbian community” fall within these parameters? Or even “Women”? It’s not a field of business or jurisdiction or even the business’ reponsibility, and I can’t see how a community would be an area of competence.

Perhaps “Feminism”, “Lesbian feminism”, or “Lesbianism” would be appropriate terms in the 372? They are at least “areas of competence”.

Jay Shorten

Cataloger, Monographs and Electronic Resources

Associate Professor of Bibliography

Catalog Department

University Libraries

University of Oklahoma

Co-ordinator, Oklahoma (Tornado) NACO Funnel

Co-owner, PERSNAME-L, the list about personal names in bibliographic and authority records