The South Carolina collection consists of the trims and unused clips shot
by Movietone cameramen, which I'm guessing were stored somewhere away from
the main Fox vault, which exploded and burned at Fort Lee, NJ in 1937. I'm
not sure why some of these Movietone outtakes are silent, as Movietone
itself was unique in that it was a sound-on-film system. Perhaps a second,
silent camera was used for some events for insert shots. The finished
newsreel may well have included some of FDR's comments in sound, but I'm
not sure where one would look for that, or if it would survive.

best,

Dave Lewis