Hi Eli,

You have a host of problems with this reel of tape (preaching to the
choir here): Mold, Shedding which may require some baking, and segments
separated by paper leader. Paper leader is not bad by itself but, in
this case, it's adding to the problem because of mold and moisture
absorption.

1) Address the mold. Baking a moldy tape will contaminate your oven.
Avoid (if you can) any water based mold killing products. Pure alcohol
work well as a first or second application. Soaking the tape with
alcohol may reduce the sticky layer problem to the point that it can be
carefully unwound to move on to step 2.

2) Replace the paper leader with plastic leader. I've also used blank
Polyester tape (reversed) as leader. Then, continue with mold removal
because you want to remove ALL of the mold.

3) Bake the tape if you think it is safe to do so. Bake looow (Temp) and
sloow: Less than 49C (120F) for as long as it takes. 24 to 48 hours
would not be uncommon. I would suggest using a dehydrator for this
particular application or, any unit that you can safely dispose of
because contamination may be unavoidable, rendering the baking device
unusable for anything else.

Check with Peter Brothers to see if Specs Bros. may have some advice:
http://www.specsbros.com/

You may have to decide which is more important: Saving the tape or
saving the equipment. Corporate America, in my experience, would decide
that the process is too expensive and chuck the tape.

Advise is free so, contact me off-list if you like.

Sorry,

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net