Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "Between the Bullet and the Hospital: Clara Barton and the Civil War" on Tuesday, September 19th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building's Kiowa Room.

The Civil War set Clara Barton on a path of a new type of public service, one where she endured some of the same terrible conditions and extreme dangers as the soldiers she treated. This path took Miss Barton to Antietam, where she worked as the battle raged around her. At the Battle of Fredericksburg she was the only woman working at the front. Later, Clara Barton was there when the African American troops of the 54th Massachusetts attacked Fort Wagner in South Carolina. Clara Barton did all this without formal training as a nurse and did not join the Superintendent of U.S. Army Nurses corps, nor did she collaborate with the Christian Commission or the Sanitary Commission.

Please join Park Ranger Kevin Patti of the Clara Barton National Historic Site as he will use photos from the Civil War era to explore the dangers Clara Barton faced and the accomplishments she achieved during the war.

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

If the link above does not work at your location, you may also register at https://www.doi.gov/library/park-ranger-speaker-series-registration-form.

Please also note that we will be offering WebEx webinar access for this program.  If you are interested in remote live access to this program, please note it on the online registration form or send an e-mail to library@ios.doi.gov.

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at library@ios.doi.gov for more information about this program and/or directions.   For more information about DOI Library resources and services, please visit the DOI Library's website, located at http://www.doi.gov/library.

We hope you can join us in person or virtually on September 19th!

George

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services (OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, Room 2262, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]oi.gov
Phone: (202) 208-3796