Recording disks at 16 2/3 rpm wasn't a good idea either.

I think I'd take 33 1/3 rpm on a good turntable than a 16 2/3 rpm
turntable from back in the day. The quality is limited in either event.

You could use 176.4 and then change the sample rate to 88.2 to provide a
slightly wider bandwidth for the de-click algorithms to see, but I doubt
it would provide much difference.

As to the EQ curve, I recall there was no EQ adjustment between 16, 33,
and 45 on any of the old turntables I had that incorporated the
speed...to tell the truth, there wasn't at 78, either, so perhaps that's
not a fair assessment.

However, neither IASA TC-05 nor the 1964 NAB standard seem to address
this question.

https://www.iasa-web.org/tc04/signal-extraction-original-carriers

http://www.richardhess.com/tape/history/NAB/NAB_Disc_Standard_1964_searchable.pdf

My suggestion is to use RIAA and then trust your ears in a derivative copy.

Cheers,

Richard