Hi, Mark,

You have received three great answers, with which I concur.

The one exception that was noted was using the plastic bag where there
is a risk of flood. A few years ago, I was given a tape that had been
stored in a plastic bag in a "time capsule." The tape was moist.
Water/vapor will diffuse through many plastics given enough time. It
seems to me that the small risk of flood and the limited protection the
plastic bag offers is not a good trade-off against the detriments of its
use.

I do return the plastic bag to clients, but the tape is on top of it,
not in it.

Interestingly, while one might worry about the acidic content of a
run-of-the-mill tape box, I have anecdotal evidence that the "bad actor"
in this equation (at least with acetate tape) is the tape and not the box.

More than a decade ago (yikes!, has it been that long?), I posted this
to my blog:

http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/10/16/acetate-tape-buffered-by-cardboard-box/

(all-in-one-line)

Cheers,