It is a shame that none of you thought to look up the answers in Richard
Sears' V-Disc Discography because none of the answers given so fare are
correct.  Yes Victor and Columbia pressed V-Discs but there were other
plants as well.  And most of the discs you think are vinylite, aren't.

Most of the discs were pressed at RCA in Camden and all of them were
collated and shipped from there.  Columbia Bridgeport was another major
plant as has been noted.  The other plants used were World at 660 First
Avenue near 38th Street; Clark Phonograph Company, 216 High Street,
Newark, NJ; Scranton Record Company, Scranton Pa, Universal Sound
Studios in Hollywood, and Allied Manufacturing Company.

After the first few months, vinylite became a war rationed item because
it was needed for wire insulation, so after experimentation a different
but similar plastic was used called Formvar.  A third plastic was also
used called Alvar.  I do not know how to tell these three apart, but
after the war RCA used Formvar in the black plastic Not For Sale Disc
Jockey discs.  Their clear colored discs were vinyl, and apparently by
the time the 45 was introduced they were using vinyl for their opaque
black records as well. I would have to check about the Plum label kiddie
78s, but I do know the black label DJs were Formvar.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]