Hi Gina,

I have been encoding finding aids at the Newberry since 2003. When we started, we used RLG's Best Practice Guidelines for Encoded Archival Description (RLG EAD Advisory Group, August 2002)

https://www.oclc.org/content/dam/research/activities/ead/bpg.pdf

It was a guide, not strict gospel. We created our own in-house recommendations with the RLG Guidelines as a starting point. I can share that with you if you'd like. Just FYI, we haven't gone to EAD3 yet, because we are still using Archivists' Toolkit to manage our accessions and resources databases.

Our finding aids are shared - they are in ArchiveGrid (harvested), and Chicago Collections Consortium's "Explore Chicago Collections" portal (manually added by us).

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Best wishes,

Alison

Alison Hinderliter
Manuscripts and Archives Librarian