FEDLIB Colleagues:

It is with heavy heart that I share with all of you the news that Gene Dickerson, Cataloging Team Lead at the Department of State’s Bunche Library, died this past Saturday morning after a long battle with cancer.

Gene joined the Bunche Library staff in 2006 as the Cataloging Team Leader.  From 1996 through 2006 he served as a Unit Head for the National Library of Medicine. Gene was serials librarian with Villanova University Library from 1986 to 1996.  He received his MLS from Rutgers in 1982.

Gene’s great cataloging skills, high productivity, and systems insight will be sorely missed, along with his humor and deep love for 80s pop culture.  He always stayed current with changes and innovations in our profession.  Few people were as dedicated to Librarianship.

His friend, Ken Plonsky, plans to hold a “Celebration of Life” for Gene’s friends and colleagues on January 7th, which would have been Gene’s 60th birthday.  It will be held in the Van Ness Room  at the Van Ness North apartments from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.  The address is 3001 Veazey Terrace NW Washington, DC, just two blocks from the Van Ness metro stop on the red line.

Regards

Julie

Julie Arrighetti

Chief Librarian

Ralph J. Bunche Library
Office of Information Programs and Services

U.S. Department of State

202.647.3002

Official

UNCLASSIFIED