Thank you, Kevin and Bob, for those very enlightening answers.  I knew of course that the AAP for a work represents all expressions of that work, and I can see why it is critical in subject searching to have the other-language variants of the work title in the work record, but I guess I haven't encountered this before in anything besides musical works.

I was wondering why there were no authority records for language expressions of Da xue, but it occurs to me now that if the other-language variant access point is already in the work record, maybe there's no need to create an authority record for the expression even if you use the expression access point in a bib record.

Is that correct? If I get an English-language expression of Zhong yong, and the title on the manifestation is "The constant mean," I should add <430 _0 Constant mean> to the work record and put <130 _0 Zhong yong. $l English. $f 2017> in the bib record, and not create an expression-level authority record for the new English-language expression with a SEE reference from "Constant mean"?  Or establishing the language expression in LC/NAF is optional?

I ask because establishing the language expression seems to have been carefully avoided over many years in the case of Da xue.  I don't think there's any problem having two records with same 430 as far as the NACO file comparison rules are concerned, but is there something somewhere else that instructs not to create an expression-level record with a SEE reference that matches one in that expression's work record?

Thank you again!
Mike

Michael A. Chopey
Catalog Librarian