Dear PCC colleagues,

Does anyone know why these two work records have SEE references from
various other-language expressions of the work? I can't find the rule
that justifies doing this.

e.g.:

130  0 Da xue
430  0 Taehak
430  0 Daigaku
430  0 Velikai︠a︡ nauka
430  0 Great learning
430  0 Grande étude
etc., etc.

130  0 Zhong yong
430  0 Chungyong
430  0 Chūyō
430  0 Nauk o sredini
430  0 Doctrine of the mean
430  0 Tchoung ioung
etc. etc.

As you might know, these are two of the "Four books" (Si shu; 四書),
Chinese classics of Confucian thought.  The other two are attributed to
Confucius and to Mencius, and each of them is entered under the
creator's name heading. The one by Confucius represents only the work
and its original Chinese-language expression, as I would expect, and
other-language expressions of that work are entered variously as:

100 0  Confucius. ǂt Lun yu. ǂl English
100 0  Confucius. ǂt Lun yu. ǂl Japanese
100 0  Confucius. ǂt Lun yu. ǂl Indonesian
etc. etc.

The one by Mencius is a mixture of the two different approaches. The
work record seems to represent the original Chinese-language expression
and also an English-language expression and a Japanese-language expression:

100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mengzi
100 0  Mencius. ǂt Sayings of Mencius
100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mōshi

but there are also other-language expression records, as I would expect
to find, e.g.:

100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mengzi. ǂl English
100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mengzi. ǂl Japanese
100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mengzi. ǂl Korean
100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mengzi. ǂl Russian
100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mengzi. ǂl Latin
100 0  Mencius. ǂt Mengzi. ǂl Portuguese
etc., etc.

Can someone explain what is going with these?  Three of the four work
record are RDA, and the other is coded AACR, but I can't remember any
reason why you wouldn't have established the other-language expressions
separately in AACR either.

Thank you in advance if someone can show me what I'm missing!

Aloha,
Mike Chopey

Michael A. Chopey
Catalog Librarian