Thanks for that, Kathy, very helpful.  Still doesn’t explain why LC never decided to implement the new codes and continued to treat the field as if it were fiction or nonfiction only.

Adam Schiff

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathy Glennan
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: LitF

Ah, it was part of format harmonization between USMARC & CANMARC.

For the MARBI proposal that led to this change, which includes the rationale, see: http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/1996/96-8rrp2.html

Kathy

Kathy Glennan

Head, Original & Special Collections Cataloging

University of Maryland Libraries

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Trina Pundurs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Adam L. Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I’m not aware of the reason for this longstanding policy.

C'mon, I can't believe I'm the only one here who's been around long enough to remember when 008/33 was defined as "Fiction" and the only valid values were 0 and 1.

Now, granted, that changed 20 years ago, but we know how quickly policies and procedures get updated in the cataloging world, especially at the big institutions.  8|

Trina

Trina Pundurs
Catalog & Metadata Services
University of California, Berkeley