Thank you so much for your thoughtful advice, Bob!

Based on my searches in OCLC and other online sources, I am inclined to think that I could create a new work-level record with "China reconstructs" as an AAP.  For support, I cite the following 2 access points (representing expression) formulated by LC:

130  0 China reconstructs. $l Arabic (LC 85649504; OCLC 12531788)
130  0 China reconstructs. $l Chinese (LC 84649045; OCLC 11406968)

Also, there's a subseries authority record in OCLC that has the main title in 430:

130  0 What's new in China (LCCN 88628438; ARN 02254282)
430  0 China reconstructs. $p What's new in China

So far so good. For me, however, a true "sticking point" is this. "China reconstructs" was succeeded by "China today" in 1990. At this point, naturally, it would be helpful to connect the two as related works. There are two serial bibliographic records that have slightly different 130s.

130     China today (Beijing, China : 1990) (LC 90656111; OCLC 21007118)
130     China today (Beijing, China : 1990 : English ed.) (LC 90656111; OCLC 21007118)

The form of the first 130 seems familiar to me, as it looks more like a work-level AAP. I am not so sure about the second 130, because it includes a language attribute in the qualifier.  It would look awkward, if it were used to represent the work somewhere else (i.e., for an expression) and have further language attributes ($l Arabic or $l Chinese or $l English?!).

Yes, knowing that I have already gone this far and for fear of being accused of not going far enough, now I am trying to seek help for creating two authority records in tandem.  In all sincerity, I hope I am not trespassing.

Further comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Best regards,

Yang
PUL