Thank you, Jessica. I have that document, too. I was getting ready to follow it when I realized it was dated February 2014, whereas the corresponding section in the full DCM Z1 document is dated April 2017. The earlier document is more detailed and understandable, but I'm forcing myself to grind through the 2017 document, believing it to be the current gospel.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Jessica Janecki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

There is more info at https://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/PCC%20RDA%20guidelines/Z01%20008%2032%202014rfeb.pdf on maintaining NARs and what to do when you are down to one name.

Jessica

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]GOV] On Behalf Of Ann Heinrichs
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] How to split one NAR into two?

Thank you, Ben. I assume I should also update and replace the name-title record for the priest?

Ann

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Benjamin A Abrahamse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi,

If the NACO FAQ is still current, then the guidelines for what to do when you encounter and need to edit an undifferentiated name are in the DCM Z1, section 008/32.

https://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/naco/personnamefaq.html#20

https://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/dcmz1.pdf

The essential bit is here:

When information is found to distinguish a person in an existing undifferentiated name record:

• Always create a new name authority record for that person, with distinguishing information, and add an indication that the person was formerly on an undifferentiated record (see 667 notes on records for identities previously on undifferentiated records below).

• Transfer the citation 670 pertaining to that person from the undifferentiated name record to the new name authority record and edit as necessary.

• If the undifferentiated NAR is not being deleted because multiple identities remain, delete the pair of 670 fields pertaining to the newly created NAR.

• If more than one identity remains in the undifferentiated NAR, and there is not sufficient information in the NAR to create new NARs for each name, leave the NAR coded AACR2.

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse

Cataloging Coordinator

Acquisitions & Discovery Enhancement