Ah, it was part of format harmonization between USMARC & CANMARC.

For the MARBI proposal that led to this change, which includes the
rationale, see: http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/1996/96-8rrp2.html

Kathy

Kathy Glennan
Head, Original & Special Collections Cataloging
University of Maryland Libraries

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Trina Pundurs <[log in to unmask]