Ah, it was part of format harmonization between USMARC & CANMARC.

For the MARBI proposal that led to this change, which includes the rationale, see: http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/1996/96-8rrp2.html

Kathy

Kathy Glennan
Head, Original & Special Collections Cataloging
University of Maryland Libraries

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Trina Pundurs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Adam L. Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I’m not aware of the reason for this longstanding policy.

C'mon, I can't believe I'm the only one here who's been around long enough to remember when 008/33 was defined as "Fiction" and the only valid values were 0 and 1.

Now, granted, that changed 20 years ago, but we know how quickly policies and procedures get updated in the cataloging world, especially at the big institutions.  8|

Trina

Trina Pundurs
Catalog & Metadata Services
University of California, Berkeley