“China reconstructs” was a bimonthly (1952-1954) and then monthly (1955-1989, ISSN 1000-2944) published in Beijing, China. There were many concurrently published language editions, including Chinese, English, French, German, Spanish, Arabic, Turkish, etc. In 1990, the title was changed to “China today” (ISSN 1003-9005) in 1990.

Right now I am cataloging a textbook entitled “New Gateway to Chinese”—a compilation of 24 Chinese language lessons—gleaned from the “Language Corner” Section of that periodical from July 1972 through 1973. I would like to provide an access point to the periodical in a 7XX MARC field.  A search in OCLC bib file under “China reconstructs,” however, yields baffling results. It has been used everywhere, 130, 222, 630, 730, etc., and yet the title itself is not in NAF.

Moreover, there are more than a few different works bearing the same or similar titles (“China reconstructs”, “China today”) in the OCLC bib file, in which case, if I simply put in a “730 China reconstructs,” it would be a violation of RDA 6.1.2 & 6.1.3.1, would it not?

I was just wondering when it would be a good time to start differentiating them and giving them unique authorized access points?  Is this strictly CONSER’s territory? Based on PCC/NACO training modules, Module 6a (Describing series) does seem to have covered the topic of how to treat serials to some extent. So, may BIBCO participants contribute in a situation like this and create an authority record for the work?

Yang

PUL