Dear Betsy, While it is sad hear about the death if Peter Bartis, the many comments on praise of his contributions to the AFC and folklife studies in general are a joy to read. I met Peter in the 1980s when he was a young staff member. Even then he was totally committed to the center’s mission and earnest about making sure that new board members were clear about that mission. He was a perfectionist and super professional, but with a wonderful sense of humor and the innate generosity of a born teacher. I cannot believe he is gone. He was the kind of person who seemed to stay “forever young.” Condolences to his husband Ben and to all his family and to the AFC staff, where he truly found his calling and community.

Jeanne Guillemin, PhD
MIT Center for International Studies
Author, Hidden Atrocities: Japanese Germ Warfare and American Obstruction of Justice at the Tokyo Trial (www.hiddenatrocities.com)

KSent from my iPhone