Thank you so much for the word about Peter. We did not know he was ill, but am not surprised the way he enjoyed smoking.

He was among the first on the AFC staff to meet and greet me when I came on  board in 1983 and visited Peggy and me at our Pawleys Island beach house and also at our home  here in Bennettsville. I am truly sorry, but so glad I had the privilege of knowing him for so long.

Since beginning this note, I notice it has begun to snow (which was predicted), so I guess I'll dig out my warm clothes which I had when I was in and out of Washington so often thanks to AFC opportunities. Best wishes to you and all there. Happy New Year to all. Bill K.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Peterson, Elizabeth
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 12:59 PM
Subject: Peter Bartis

Dear Archie Green Union friends,

The American Folklife Center is very sad to report the death of longtime
staff member, Peter Bartis. Peter died on December 25, 2017.  As some of
you may already know, he had been undergoing treatment for lung cancer over the
past year but his health took a sudden bad turn within the last couple of
weeks. He was with family and his spouse Ben when he passed.  Luckily,
several AFC staff were able to see him in the past week.

At the time of his retirement in September, Peter was the longest-serving
employee in the American Folklife Centerís history (41 years!), a record
that will probably go unchallenged for a long time. In many ways, Peterís
presence and diligent work has defined the Center for over 40 years. His
presence is certainly woven throughout a range of the AFC's programs...our
field surveys, Local Legacies, the Veteran's History Project.  I know he was very proud of his service at AFC.

Peter leaves the legacy of the AFC Internship Fund program, which he established upon his retirement.

Soon after I started at the AFC, Peter came in to my office and sat down.
He proceeded to give  me a lot of good advice about how to get things done
in the Library.  For those of you who worked with him as staff or AFC trustee, that will likely bring a smile.
Peter was a character, with a good sense of humor, matter of fact in
demeanor and full of opinions, and he was someone I could always count on
to keep me on track.  He got right to the point and I will miss that.  A
fuller appreciation of Peter, written by Steve Winick, can be found on
today's AFC blog:
http://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/

All of us at AFC will miss him.  I say appreciate the friends and family in
your midst and happy new year to one and all.

Best wishes from everyone at AFC!

Betsy

Elizabeth Peterson

Director, American Folklife Center