Hi all ARSC-listers. I am on this list as part of my work is transferring audio tapes for occasional clients. I am not an archvist or a library person. I’ve been an audio engineer for over 50 years in various capacities.

Since 1973 I have been engineer for a radio nonprofit that does interviews for public radio (and now podcasts which is “the new radio”). I post-produce an hour-long program each week, and restore from tapes our old programs for continuing distribution. The interviews are good and document the progress of the cultural institutions known as the consciousness movement, science and social changes here in California. We consider them documentary material of a niche of humanity in the process of discovering itself.

One of our team has taken it upon himself to be the archivist and manager of the library of thousands of hours of programs. He is a brilliant person, perhaps too much so, and keeps devising various ways of organizing the audio archives so they can be preserved and accessed for “retail” and podcast distribution. He has found many ways to origanize it, and keeps changing it according to his latest bright idea. I get confused trying to keep up with the latest scheme and file organization. We keep adding material from tapes that has never been digital before. We have abnout 1500 hours now and there may be 3 to 4 thousand hours in toto.

Many of you are professionals at this, and I know there must be standardized methods of organizing audio files that don’t need to be reinvented constantly!

How can I find out what these methods are, and suggest to him how to keep the audio archives we have organized and accessible to future generations? We are both around 70 and going to school for library science is not an option. Online links would be fine, and/or personal knowledge from some of you would be valuable!

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions!

<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689