Ditto to what Richard says.  I also find Izotope's Mastering Limiter to be a nice "hands-off" treatment of long-form programming.  A specific application for me is in conjunction with Sound Forge's "Batch Converter" (under TOOLS).  I use this when I want to assemble a whole lot of podcasts from different sources into a master "reel' for on-the-road listening.

Cheers!

Mark Durenberger

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Compressing music in Sound Forge 9.

Hello, Ben,

According to the B&H website, SF9 includes:

"Mastering Effects Bundle powered by iZotope includes Mastering Reverb, Multiband Compressor, IRC Limiter loudness maximizer and a six-band Mastering Parametric Equalizer "

I use iZotope Ozone for this sort of thing, although I previously used Alloy which is also nice,  but not as powerful as Ozone. I was going to suggest this before I found a version of it was already there.

I also use the multiband compressor in Samplitude (when I'm working in Samplitude, it's there, and I've used it for over a decade and a half.

I prefer a three-band setting because bass does not then duck midrange and highs.

Adjusting the threshold downward and adjusting the compression ratio or slope will affect the sound the most, but attack and release times are also useful. It will change the sound, but it will provide a much more enjoyable listening experience while on the road or in the air.

Most compressors also provide static or signal-driven graphics that help you visualize what's going on.

Cheers,

Richard