Thanks, Osma. I totally agree with you. I absolutely see language coding
for subjects, for text of notes, etc. as making a lot of sense when
there are choices. For the question I posed about titles, obviously one
would display the only title in the record. These are the kinds of
"cases" I was hoping to solicit.

One other thing in terms of language tagging of titles is being able to
automatically process initial articles so humans don't have to do that.
We had such a function in the Univ of California catalog in the 1980's,
based on the language of text, and it was pretty accurate for modern
languages. We used it mainly to find errors in the human coding in MARC
245 fields. It seems to me that a machine-generated initial article
decision could save time, with humans only having to code the ones that
the machine gets wrong or flags as unclear. (Although I do think that we
are getting further from alphabetical displays as time goes on, so even
this may be less necessary.)

The Google translation function is pretty good at guessing the language
of a short text string. Bibliographic records are odd texts and don't
yield the same kinds of clues as "natural language," but I'd be
interested to see a "guess the language" run against a bunch of titles.
Adding a 6th rule Ranganathan's 5, I'd say: "Save the time of the
cataloger." (It worries me when people assume that this is all manual work.)

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net