Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for these wonderful questions.  According to W3C Recommendation 25 February 2014, RDF 1.1 Concepts and Abstract Syntax,  a literal in an RDF graph consists of two or three elements.  If the third element is present, a literal is a language-tagged string.  Lexical representations of language tags may be converted to lower case. The value space of language tags is always in lower case.  The language tag must be well-formed according to section 2.2.9 of BCP47, available from https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47.  You can find the language codes from https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry

For compliance, we may consider the adoption of BCP47 language tags.  However, I agree with you that we must build good use cases for the coding change given the complexity of our data.  I also agree with Joe Kiegek that in native BIBFRAME and a good user interface, assigning language tags may not be difficult or time consuming.  In addition, I am hoping that the next version of MARC2BIBFRAME converter can handle multiscript record conversion better with the use of BCP47 language tags if an agreement can be reached by PCC or some such group.

One experiment that I did might be the starting point for us to collect sample data for use case development.  You can check OCLC#122820377 .  It is not a RDA record and relator codes are missing.  But we may list it as an example for a multiscript record.   The transcribed title and subtitle are in different language scripts.  Author/title groups, personal names, TOC, etc. are in different language scripts.

Paired field for MARC 245 title field in OCLC:

  [cid:[log in to unmask]]

Titles with language tags using BCP47 in BIBFRAME description:

<http://example.org/ocn122820377#Work> a bf:MovingImage,

        bf:Work;

    rdfs:label "Xi you ji"@pinyin;

bf:contribution

[ a bf:Contribution;

                                bf:agent <http://example.org/ocn122820377#Agent700-31>;

                                bf:role <http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/ctb> ],

[ a bf:Contribution;

                               bf:agent <http://example.org/ocn122820377#Agent880-44>;

                               bf:role <http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/ctb> ];

bf:title [ a bf:Title;

            rdfs:label "Xi you ji"@pinyin;

            bflc:titleSortKey "Xi you ji";

            bf:mainTitle "Xi you ji"@pinyin ],

        [ a bf:Title;

            rdfs:label "西遊記 = Journey to the west"@zh-cmn-hant;

            bflc:titleSortKey "西遊記 = Journey to the west";

            bf:mainTitle "西遊記"@zh-cmn-hant;

            bf:subtitle "Journey to the west"@en-us ] .

<http://example.org/ocn122820377#Agent700-31> a bf:Agent,

        bf:Person;

    rdfs:label "Yang, Jie"@pinyin;

    bflc:name00MarcKey "7001 $6880-04$aYang, Jie";

    bflc:name00MatchKey "Yang, Jie" .

<http://example.org/ocn122820377#Agent880-44> a bf:Agent,

        bf:Person;

    rdfs:label "杨洁"@zh-cmn-hant;

    bflc:name00MarcKey "8801 $6700-04/$1$a杨洁";

    bflc:name00MatchKey "杨洁" .

Attached is the entire record in .ttl format.  Thanks a lot!

Amanda

---
Amanda Xu
Metadata Analyst Librarian