From: Encoded Archival Standards List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Custer, Mark
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 11:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [EAD] Accessible PDF finding aids? Print finding aids at all?

This is a great discussion so far; thanks to everyone who has weighed in already!

To be clear:  Personally, I'm a strong advocate for printable finding aids, but I don't think that archival repositories should be the ones printing them out (though I guess many do, like mine, during the editing / proofreading process anyway!) and/or filing them on site.

What's surprised me is that it seems like fewer and fewer finding-aid delivery services are offering PDFs or a similar option for download.  ***I also can't find any examples of PDF/UA finding aids in the wild***.  It is a relatively new standard, but it is also subject to Section 508, for example: https://www.section508.gov/blog/check-pdf

As for the technical aspects, Brian, I am relying on Apache FOP to create PDF/UA finding aids with XSL-FO  (I thought about pursing a CSS option, but I don't know if any are viable right now to create PDF/UA documents).  Apache FOP, which is open source, has been offering accessibility options since version 1.1, https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1/accessibility.html,  it looks like.  I'm now using version 2.2, though, since it includes a number of fixes, and it also ensures that the document title of the finding aid is immediately recognized by Adobe Acrobat rather than the file name.

Anyhow, more in a few weeks once I have a few other concrete details worked out.    But I'm still interested to hear more about this discussion in the meantime, especially if anyone else out there is working on creating PDF/UA finding aids.  If so, let's talk ASAP.  I've got a lot to learn still about this topic, so I'd love to share notes.