Hi Colleagues,

Earlier in the month, I posted a request for information.  My supervisor had asked me to see if there were any alternatives -- open source or other wise -- to Documentum.  I'd like to thank everyone who replied.  The responses that I received were very helpful, and I'd like to share them with you.

1) "We use Eprints to manage our scientists’ publications.  PDFs are uploaded and are searchable…  It’s open source.

Check it out at:

​
http://files.eprints.org/
​"

​2) "​
I know a lot of Agencies are using CDC Stacks (https://stacks.cdc.gov/) for repository services to manage access to documents – either internal or for public access. It’s been a couple of years since I was involved in those efforts but this solution may be viable to replace Documentum as a platform for access. I think CDC Stacks is an Open Source platform but CDC charges Agencies for hosting and support.
​"​

3) "
We are looking at ContentDM but are very interested if folks from the list responded to your email with other possible solutions.
​"​

​4) ​"
We use an open source repository system for exactly that purpose - Islandora. It is basically a suite of drupal modules which connects a Fedora (version 3) repository to a Drupal (version 7) website. We had initially started with an ePrints repository and migrated after wanting more functionality/our developers no longer wanted to support it.

While it was a bear to implement and has a learning curve, it does have very good search and browse capability because it uses solr, which allows for custom faceting and full text indexing. It also has a very granular permissions system so we can maintain copyright protected material. There are hosting/support options - Discovery Garden (http://www.discoverygarden.ca/), and Born Digital (http://www.born-digital.com/).

The data entry is a customizable form (requires some knowledge of xpath to really configure), but it's fairly simple to use from a cataloger's perspective.
​"​

​Thanks again to all who responded...

Steve

Stephen Pomes, M.L.I.S., Librarian