Now that MODS 3.7 is available, the Editorial Committee, at the monthly call last week, considered the question of whether to define an authority  code for typeOfResource.  Presumably the question pertains to the LC vocabulary: http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/resourceTypes .

No, MODS will not define a code for this vocabulary.  The committee agreed that it is not good practice to define a code for a vocabulary when the URI for the vocabulary is known.

This decision does not affect existing practice (many of the existing source codes were defined for vocabularies for which there was no URI),  nor is it intended to prohibit anyone from creating an authority code for a vocabulary (whether or not a URI exists) and using it within MODS.

Ray

From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shaun Y. Akhtar
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 2:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MODS] typeOfResource question

Dear all,

For the LC Resource Types vocabulary that Kate mentioned, is there a defined code identifier that should be used as the value of @authority within <mods:typeOfResource> in 3.7 and beyond? Are there additional authorities that will be recommended by the EC for use in this element? I see that the DCMI Type Vocabulary is part of the Genre/Form Code and Term Source Codes list[1], but the Resource Types Scheme doesn't appear to yet be included in that or in related source code lists. In local practice, we typically provide both @authority and @valueURI within other controlled MODS elements, if applicable, so it would be helpful to know of relevant vocabulary codes.

Regards,

Shaun

[1] https://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/genre-form.html

--

Shaun Akhtar | Metadata Librarian

6025 Baker Library, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755 | (603) 646-6532