    I said nothing about positive descriptors or achievements, which to the extent they are subjective are as inappropriate as the negative stuff, IMO. One could include, in the AR for JS Bach, the following from Grove: His musical language was distinctive and extraordinarily varied, drawing together and surmounting the techniques, the styles and the general achievements of his own and earlier generations and leading on to new perspectives which later ages have received and understood in a great variety of ways; or, for Mozart: Unlike Haydn, his senior by 24 years, and Beethoven, his junior by 15, he attempted most of the art-music forms of his time and excelled at them all.
    Let’s leave all that to the historians, biographers, critics, et al., as has been noted by other posters. It is pleasing to read that Mr. Allgood plans to remove the judgmental statements from the cited ARs.

Chuck Herrold
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Willey, Eric
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] n 85387872 (Pres. T.)

Hello,

Refusing to include terms describing sex offenders or adulterers or anti-Semites in an NAR is also a political and moral act, it’s just one that supports the subject of the NAR (frequently a person with power) by refusing to document their actions and that portion of their identity. If we’re providing brief biographies (and I think at this point it’s safe to say we are), why are we restricted to only positive descriptors or achievements (provided it’s cited from a reliable source and 670, etc.)?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Eric Willey (pronouns: he/him/his)
309-438-7447
Special Collections and Formats Cataloger
Milner Library
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61761