Patrick

You are correct. Quoting DCM:Z1 on the 670 field:

“The purpose of this field is to record information about the name or title represented in the 1XX field.  It includes facts that contribute to the identification of the entity, that justify the choice of the name or title, and any additional elements used to construct the authorized access point (1XX). The information also justifies, as needed, variant forms of the name or title (4XX), other identifying elements (046 and 3XX), and clarifies relationships between the 1XX and other entities in the file.”

The entry then lists in more detail the functions of the 670 field, all of which are to do with recording information to support the choice of name, enabling identification, recording relationships and fields of writing, and facilitating database maintenance, and none of which are concerned with documenting all the details of a person’s life or calling them to account for their misdemeanours.

We are not creating biographies:

“It is not necessary to include a 670 field for every reference source consulted; use judgment in deciding what sources are important enough to retain in the permanent authority record.  For example, an NAR does not serve as a biographical sketch of a person, nor as an account of the detailed history of a corporate body.”

In omitting detailed biographical information, especially contentious statements, we are not condoning or endorsing anything that a person is said to have done. We are merely conforming to NACO requirements as to the content and purpose of a name authority record.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager