Although most of the people I construct AAPs for are dead, I do regularly contact living people, especially those with common names. It’s not always to get a birth date, it is sometimes to confirm if they are already in the authority file (perhaps under the form of name used on their PhD thesis decades ago). The people I contact are always very happy to help, usually they are thrilled someone is interested in their book and they appreciate having input on their preferred form of name.

Jessica

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Netanel Ganin
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 4:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Adding birth dates (or death dates) to new access points

Hi Jesse,

My understanding is as follows:

The PS says it is an optional addition because it is optional for RDA itself. RDA is used by many communities outside of LC and the PCC and each can come up with their own rulings for the various options.

But if you're contributing to the Name Authority File via the PCC of which NACO is a part -- then the LC/PCC practice at at 9.19.1.3 is indeed required and you must add a birth and/or death date [if known] to a new AAP even if not needed to distinguish between access points.

Adding dates in the 046 is useful for machine processing but does not override the requirement to record them [if known] in the AAP.

Regarding emailing creator/contributors -- I certainly don't email them all. Sometimes I can readily ascertain dates from various online/print sources, but if it is not known, then I do not record it. Once in a while though when a person has a very common name and their contact info is readily available, yes I'll e-mail them.

best,

Netanel Ganin

he/his/him

Any opinions in this email are solely those of Netanel Ganin and not to be construed or represented as those of any institution.