I can imagine that as linked data applications and links among identity
registries like NAF and Wikipedia develop, the need for entering contextual
information in NAF records will in many cases diminish. Given an ID link,
systems will be able to harvest information from Wikipedia and other
sources and present it (with sourcing information) in the context of a
fairly minimal NAF record's native data for both catalogers and public
users.

That also means that the line between our NAF practice and the practice of
other information sources is likely to fade. Wikipedia does have a category
heading for "American sex offenders" and includes in its no doubt growing
list of 94 names Anthony Weiner and Dennis Hastert. Will the chance of such
designations being harvested into NAF presentations be an obstacle to
routinely making such links?

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist