Actually the @ symbol should be searchable. The Authority File Comparison Rules say to "retain" the "commercial at sign", i.e., @, when doing normalization for NACO access points. That could mean that search terms entered without the @ would fail if the AAP includes an @, especially in systems which index only the AAP and not variant access points.

Stephen

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:32 AM, Kuperman, Aaron <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Early during RDA implementation I had to ask PSD about an author (I believe a women academic in Malaysia), who had taken to writing her name with the “@” character.  This is how it appeared on her book and on her professional website (which was part of a university faculty page).  PSD said to use the “@” and not to worry about it being unsearchable.

I suggest the “rule” is that if the author wants to do something “unusual” , it isn’t for us to overrule them.  We transcribe their names, we don’t dictate  their names (though in some countries, the government does have law regulating names which we need to be aware of).

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.

This is not an official communication from my employer

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]GOV] On Behalf Of Robert M. TALBOTT
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 4:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Constructing Artist's Access Point: Real Name vs. Twitter Name (with or without @ or At ?)

Hi Ed:

That's a tough one.

One way to resolve this is to contact the person and ask her about her preferences, and also check into whether or not the @ is a part of nome de guerre (it certainly looks to be, but only the author and the Shadow know).

Failing that, I'd take the t.p. of the book-in-hand at face value:

1000 @AKU_MATU

4000 At AKU_MATU

4000 AKU_MATU

4001 Warden, Allison

If this gives formulation gives you the jitters, remember that we still have the option of provisional authorities.

My .02. I defer to Those Who Know.

Cheers

Bob