The relationship between the position of head of state occupied by a person as defined in RDA 11.2.2.18.1 and the person holding the office is deferred to RDA 30 and 32.  RDA 32 tosses the question to RDA 29.4, which forwards the relationship designator question to RDA 29.5, which does ask for a relationship designator to be specified. But in the case of head of state AAPs, which already include a fairly clear indication of what the person's relationship is to the state office, I agree with John that we should be able to dispense with the relationship designator.  The 100/510 and 110/500 links are enough, given the formula for the X10, to show that the person held the office and that the office related to the state.

Stephen

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Wilson, Pete <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

How about “was?”

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt University

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]GOV] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Chief executives

“Chief executive of” was an unfortunate replacement in the 2016 update for an earlier relationship designator “Incumbent”, which was used in this sort of situation and actually made a sort of sense (as “incumbent of”). As has been pointed out, the current RD doesn’t work; but there isn’t any longer an appropriate RD for an AAP such as “United States.  President (2009-2017 : Obama)”.

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602