As for emailing authors, my experience has been that they are more willing to give a birth year than a birthdate.

Karen Jensen
Concordia University

On Jan 12, 2018, at 5:32 PM, Stephen Hearn <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

I agree with Netanel's reading--"Optional" is language carried over from RDA. The LC-PCC PS is a ruling on whether and how to exercise the option. It instructs us to add a known date to the heading. It does not require that a date be known to establish a name, only that it should be added if known.

That said, there are also exceptions. Some persons request that their birth year not be included in catalog headings. LC and PCC respect those requests and have removed dates, both from the heading and from other parts of the authority record. As someone who's called on to do such work, Paul Frank may have been sensitive to oversimplifying the date "requirement."

Stephen

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Jessica Janecki <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
The NACO training slides for describing persons (updated April 2017) say dates associated with a person are a core element, and as such must be recorded if they are available.

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>] On Behalf Of Jesse Lambertson
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 5:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Adding birth dates (or death dates) to new access points

This is very interesting.
Netanel, you and I were in the same NACO training in 2016 and I don't remember Paul Frank saying adding these dates was required - just good to have.
I remember the the ongoing discussion that we need not create conflict over disambiguation where no conflict exists.
    - which of course goes along with RDA very well.
    - I can tell you that i DO e-mail authors to ask birth dates - but only when I need to distinguish.
What do you think?
Have I misunderstood this?

thank you