Hello PCC List,

Gallimard recently published the correspondence between Albert Camus and Maria Casarès. The book contains letters written by each of them.

Correspondance : 1944-1959 / Albert Camus, Maria Casarès

9782072746161

OCLC# 1010979515

The OCLC record is coded as RDA and it has Camus in the 100 field. In order for Camus to properly be in the 100 field, this would need to be considered a collaborative work (RDA 6.27.1.3).

I’m more of the view that this is a compilation by two different authors since (in my view anyway) each letter can stand on its own as a separate work. If this is the case, then this should be entered under title according to RDA 6.27.1.4.

I looked in OCLC for other RDA records for correspondence and have seen them cataloged both ways with no one way predominating.

What do you all think? Should collections of correspondence between two different people be considered collaborative works or compilations?

Thanks for your advice!

Ryan J. Finnerty | Head, Database and Authorities Management & NACO Coordinator

UC San Diego Library | 9500 Gilman Drive | La Jolla, CA 92093 | MC 0175-K

T: 858.822.3138 | [log in to unmask]