Head of Cataloging
University Library System
University of Pittsburgh
The University Library System is seeking candidates for the position of Head of Cataloging, a faculty librarian position in the ULS Technical Services unit. This position reports to the Head of Technical Services.
The incumbent is responsible for providing leadership and management for the work of the Catalog Management Unit (CMU) in Technical Services and developing, overseeing, and documenting cataloging policies, priorities and procedures for the ULS. The CMU consists of four faculty librarians and four support staff that receive and catalog materials in all formats and all languages. In addition, the incumbent creates guidelines for copy cataloging done in other units, creates specifications for cataloging special collections, and selects and trains staff to work on special projects. The incumbent works in a collegial manner with colleagues in the ULS and in the Law and Health Sciences libraries, primarily by providing expertise on issues and activities with Pitt’s local Voyager database and database accuracy.
Librarians at the University of Pittsburgh are members of the faculty and are expected to demonstrate continuous professional development in addition to performing their specific responsibilities. This expectation includes participating in and contributing to departmental, library and campus-wide committees or working groups and the profession at a regional, national, and/or international level, maintaining a broad awareness of current and emerging issues that affect research, teaching and learning, and pursuing knowledge of professional trends and developments that can be applied to evolving research programs, services and collections.
· MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school
· 3-5 years of supervisory experience
· Minimum of 5 years library experience at the professional level including experience with OCLC, the Library of Congress Classification System and Subject Headings, original and copy cataloging and classification in all formats, bibliographic utilities and integrated library systems, authority control and bibliographic record maintenance, and advanced knowledge of AACR2 and RDA cataloging rules
· Strong communication skills
· Demonstrated strong planning and project management skills and experience
· Broad knowledge of cataloging issues, trends, workflows, and best practices in an academic library
· Experience with Voyager cataloging operations
· Experience cataloging complicated materials, such as maps, music or foreign language materials
· Reading knowledge of a foreign language
· Demonstrated ability to train staff
· Demonstrated ability to integrate technology into workflows
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including one month vacation per year; Medical plans; TIAA/CREF, Vanguard; and tuition assistance.
Successful candidate will be hired on a 3-year contract with possibility for renewal.
To apply, submit letter of application and resume with the names/addresses/phone numbers of three references via email to:
William K. Gentz
Head, Library Human Resources
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
To learn more about the library, please visit: www.library.pitt.edu
The University of Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity Employer