Under the title “Hillary : an American life” there are two separate bib records in OCLC ($b eng $e rda): (OCoLC)860755500 and (OCoLC)919007514. They seem to be the same work to me. One key difference, however, is the added edition statement (250 “Hardcover collector’s edition”) in the second bib. I wonder if the same statement is also in the first publication. If so, then, obviously the two records should be merged. But I could be wrong. What if the person/institution who contributed the second bib to OCLC had both editions and found the additional “Hardcover collector’s edition” in the second piece?

A more conspicuous difference is the presence of “130 0  Hillary (Time Books (Firm))” in the second record, which, I believe, was correctly formulated and assigned to the work (not yet in NAF, though), seeing that there are quite a few different works entered under the single title “Hillary” in OCLC.

Now, if indeed there two different editions, I think that both bib records should have “130 0  Hillary (Time Books (Firm)),” period. But if one really thinks there’s a need to distinguish the two (seemingly, the basis of justification for creating the 2nd bib), then s/he could do the following (by adding a work AAP to the first bib and giving an expression AAP to the second):

130 0  Hillary (Time Books (Firm))

130 0  Hillary (Time Books (Firm)) $s (Collector’s edition)

Your comments are most welcome!

Yang