Good point! Thanks for uncovering the theoretical underpinnings! For what it's worth in practical terms (e.g., to prevent interfiling in NAF, wrong subject assignment, incorrect "identifier" assignment [$0], etc. ), it would be advisable to add a qualifier to a "uniform" title that is identical or very similar to an LC subject heading.

Compare: Digital communications [Topic] and Digital communication [Title]. In OCLC, there are 169 bib records that have "Digital communication" as subject. Multiply them by the number of holding institutions, the impact could be staggering. What if some agencies attach incorrect "identifiers" to them? And what if they reload the records back to OCLC?

Yang

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hostage, John
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] work (qualifier), etc.

This raises an interesting question. According to RDA 6.27.1.9, the AAP for a work should not conflict with one that represents an agent or a place, but what about a subject?  I thought I read someplace that subject headings were part of the universe we should consider, but if so, the PS would be the place to put it.

John Hostage
Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger
Langdell Hall 194
Harvard Law School Library