We have politics and bias all throughout NAF and LCSH. Don't pretend this
is nothing new. Catalogers have used 670s to record all kinds of personal
and political information about an individual, some of it very offensive
<https://journals.ala.org/index.php/lrts/article/view/6036/7732> to justify
information in a NAR.

If the information in any of these new 670s justifies the $t in the 373,
then I think the 670 should be left in the NAR. We are not longer just
creating unique access points in our NARs. We create little biographical
sketches to provide contextual information to achieve FRBR-LRM user tasks.
With those little biographical sketches, we have to provide facts to
justify our statements. The fact is that these men did horrible things, and
many of them lost their jobs because of their actions. We record the end
date of an affiliated group in the $t of a 373. To record that end date we
need to provide justification in a 670. Wikipedia is an approved source for
670. For many of these updated records, I think the cataloger in question
was in the right.

And yes, I'm going here -- for a profession that is dominated by women, I
think we'd have a little more nuanced understanding of this kind of
metadata being recorded in the NARs for some these men.

#MeToo,
Amber Billey

Sytems & Metadata Librarian
Bard College