We have politics and bias all throughout NAF and LCSH. Don't pretend this is nothing new. Catalogers have used 670s to record all kinds of personal and political information about an individual, some of it very offensive to justify information in a NAR.

If the information in any of these new 670s justifies the $t in the 373, then I think the 670 should be left in the NAR. We are not longer just creating unique access points in our NARs. We create little biographical sketches to provide contextual information to achieve FRBR-LRM user tasks. With those little biographical sketches, we have to provide facts to justify our statements. The fact is that these men did horrible things, and many of them lost their jobs because of their actions. We record the end date of an affiliated group in the $t of a 373. To record that end date we need to provide justification in a 670. Wikipedia is an approved source for 670. For many of these updated records, I think the cataloger in question was in the right.

And yes, I'm going here -- for a profession that is dominated by women, I think we'd have a little more nuanced understanding of this kind of metadata being recorded in the NARs for some these men.

#MeToo,
Amber Billey

Sytems & Metadata Librarian
Bard College