Do you love cataloging and working with metadata?  Do you want to work at the world’s largest museum, education, and research complex?  Are you excited about the possibility to describe and provide access to amazing collections?  The Smithsonian Libraries has two management positions open in the Discovery Services Division:  Head, Copy Cataloging and Head, Original Cataloging.  Join our team in Discovery Services to develop creative workflows, open up access to rare and unique collections for the world, and collaborate on strategic projects that strengthen and share the Institution’s research.

The Division acquires, catalogs, processes, and distributes collection materials for the twenty-one branches of the Libraries, which span a full range of subjects, along with graduate and post graduate research materials and primary sources. Research materials are in various multiple languages such as Amharic, Arabic, French, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, etc.

The two positions work closely with the Head of Electronic Resources & Serials to determine and set cataloging policy, using national and local standards for the Libraries’ research collections.  The Libraries is an active participant in the PCC and NACO national programs, and hopes to expand our contributions with support from these two positions. Both positions report to the Assistant Director, Discovery Services and work with Discovery Services colleagues, along with Collections, Digital Programs & Initiatives, and Research Services staff.  The Libraries is looking for experienced librarians who can provide creative, innovative and energetic leadership and direction for the metadata and descriptive activities and collection needs that are emerging in ARL and museum libraries.

Head, Copy Cataloging

For the complete posting and application instructions see usajobs.gov at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/489785100.

Head, Original Cataloging

For the complete posting and application instructions see usajobs.gov at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/489781300.

General Information

Discovery Services at the Smithsonian Libraries provides the acquisitions, cataloging, and processing of all gift and purchased materials for the Libraries’ collections.  In addition, Discovery Services licenses, purchases, and subscribes to electronic content and resources, and makes our content available through OneSearch (the Libraries’ Summon installation).  The Division supports the research and learning work of the Institution through the Resource Sharing and Delivery Department.  The Division is embarking on several strategic initiatives – cataloging Artists’ Books that are found throughout our collections, moving large parts of our collections in response to changing needs in the Museums, implementing FAST headings and data into bibliographic records, adding author and identity IDs into bibliographic data, and creating new processes to globally enhance bibliographic data and records for unique materials in our collections (Dibner Library Manuscripts is an example).

By working at the Smithsonian, you make an important contribution to an Institution beloved by the American public and visitors from around the world. The Smithsonian is the guardian of some of the nation’s most valuable scientific, historic and artistic treasures and is a leader in research, innovation and discovery. We offer our visitors a unique, inspiring experience and we offer those who work here a chance to make a difference in the cultural life of our nation. The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in “The Increase and Diffusion of Knowledge."

The job postings will be open on for 14 days, starting 1/30/2018 and will close on 2/13/2018 and may be extended for 14 more days, depending on the number of applicants.  The complete announcement and application instructions are on USAJOBS.  For general information about working at the Smithsonian, visit https://www.si.edu/OHR/workingsi.  Review health and leave benefits at https://www.si.edu/OHR/benefits.  To learn more about the Libraries visit https://library.si.edu/about-us. Contact Polly Khater, Assistant Director for Discovery Services, at [log in to unmask], with any questions.

Polly Khater

Assistant Director, Discovery Services