Colleagues,

I want to recommend a new book, written by my friend Matt Wilson. Matt is an associate professor in the Department of Geography at the University of Kentucky and a visiting scholar at the Center for Geographic Analysis at Harvard University. He has previously taught at the Harvard Graduate School of Design, and his current research project focuses on the founding of the Laboratory for Computer Graphics at Harvard in 1965, a catalyzing moment in the advent of the digital map.

The book is called New Lines: Critical GIS and the Trouble of the Map and is published by the University of Minnesota Press  (https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/new-lines ). This book draws together archival research on the birth of the digital map with a reconsideration of the critical turn in mapping and cartographic thought that has taken place in the last few decades....it really is an excellent piece of work that really shows the application of modern theoretical perspectives on the geographic information sciences. It has gotten some great reviews and is an amazing read for anyone interested in a critical approach to digital cartography...

The books considers a society increasingly drawn to the power of the digital map, examining the conceptual and technical developments of the field of geographic information science as this work is refracted through a pervasive digital culture. This book draws together archival research on the birth of the digital map (lots of research here at the LoC in the Archive for Computer Cartograpgy) with a reconsideration of the critical turn in mapping and cartographic thought.

Matt is also a founding member of the New Mappings Collaboratory  (http://newmaps.as.uky.edu/ ) that studies new ways of data visualization and emergent mapping technologies from both an applied and theoretical perspective.  Both Matt and I have both also worked at the Harvard Graduate School of Design....teaching various aspects of theoretical GIS....me from a mathematical (I did a great class there on Machine Learning and GIS) and he from a critical viewpoint....

It is a really great read...

John