I agree. We should not be supporting unpaid work positions. Even
students at universities get paid for their 'learning on the job' positions.

I've seen solicitations for consultants from libraries who have received
grants. The amounts of the grants would not even cover transportation,
let alone housing for a few days, and for the expertise of the
consultant. I'm not sure if that is because of the granting institution
or the grant writer. I'm saddened by the fact most grants are not
plugging in equality dollars for the workers/consultants, which they
would normally pay if they were hired employees.

I took a job once (ca. 16 years ago,) establishing a Special Library for
a corporation @$40/hr. only to discover my actual costs were $62/hr.
(transportation, parking, insurance, meals.)...nothing for profit. I
suspect internships cost something by the intern as well. I probably
could have asked and received as much as I needed.

Whoever might be looking for summer work should inquire at Interlochen
Center for the Arts where they hire and pay (room, board, and small
salary) every summer. I made as much there, when in college, as I had
the previous summer at a lumber yard. http://www.interlochen.org/summerjobs

I did do some recent pro-bono preliminary consulting for the LeMay
America's Auto Museum (Tacoma, WA) for their library when they first
opened up. It was with and for my former 'boss' at the corporation
above...and fun.

*Trescott Research - Paul T. Jackson *

2503 Natalie Lane, Steilacoom, WA 98388

http://www.trescottresearch.com <http://www.trescottresearch.com/>